This one email to the right people led to
- Helping Student Loan Hero and Careerosity when they were part of Socratic Labs (unpaid), which led to
- Organizing Startup Weekend NYCEDU 2013 with the Socratic Labs team (unpaid), which led to
- Joining Socratic Labs as Chief of Staff (unpaid), which led to
- Lead organizing Startup Weekend NYCEDU 2014 with connections made through Socratic Labs (unpaid), which led to
- Being hired by fellow Startup Weekend NYCEDU organizers to facilitate a session led by 4.0 Schools and Innovate NYC Schools (paid), which led to
- Being hired as an independent consultant by an edtech company (paid), which led to
- Everything else (paid and paid well)!
Do not underestimate the power of doing work that you care about, that you’re passionate about, with people you want to support, and in a way that allows you to learn.
Other must view resources include
- The New Way to Work by Charlie Hoehn at TEDxCMU 2011
- The Briefcase Technique by Ramit Sethi